Things I've done
Ting - Tucows Inc.
Brief: Ting is a US mobile phone and fiber Internet service provider. Consumer Reports readers really like Ting.
Director of Content
October 2011 — Present
http://ting.com / http://youtube.com/ting - 1.7m views across about 450 videos with 11K subscribers.
- From the day Ting launched, I managed the national and local Ting content strategy from the blog and social outlets to the YouTube channel. I played a key role in the development of the brand voice. As a team, we grew the brand from 0 to >51K Facebook likes. From 0 to 24K Twitter followers. From 0 to 35K blog views /mo. From 0 to 240K email list subscribers.
- Central to the development of the unified Ting brand voice. This voice is clear in all customer and prospect communications, on the blog, in social media and on YouTube.
- Responsible for a small team of content creators. Contributing directly to the success of two direct reports and the larger success of the brand and the content department by working closely with numerous freelance video production, content management and design professionals.
butterscotch.com - Tucows Inc.
Brief: Butterscotch.com was a technology lifestyle video network offering weekly feature shows, mobile technology tutorials and daily news.
http://youtube.com/butterscotchcom - >20m views across over 3,500 videos with ~19K subscribers
October 2008 — October 2011
- Responsible for a team that ensured the weekly 15+ show release schedule was met. Ensured regular, reliable syndication to YouTube, iTunes, Roku and other popular platforms. Negotiated terms with content creators, content distribution networks and partners.
- Working with full-time team of 10 and a large contingent of talent, editors, producers and directors, I was responsible for all editorial output. By the time butterscotch.com came to an end, we had created over 3,500 videos, the most popular of which received 2 million views on YouTube alone.
- I created and managed the butterscotch.com editorial voice, best described as that smart, friendly kid who knows a lot about tech and is only too happy to help. I conceived and co-hosted the three most popular shows on the network: Gadget TV, How Do I? and 60-Second App.
AsiaReach Media Sdn. Bhd.
Brief: Vision KL is the city and lifestyle magazine for Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
June 2005 — June 2006
- Relaunched the Vision KL web site and helped move the printing process from old-school print to a C2P process.
- Managed an editorial staff of eight alongside the Senior Associate Editor.
Total Gamer / The Computer Paper
Brief: The Computer Paper was the preeminent source for computer and tech news in its day. Total Gamer was Canada's first print video game publication and was distributed in Blockbuster stores across the country.
November 2002 — October 2008
- EIC for the monthly and bi-monthly magazines and their respective content web sites.
- Drove the core editorial content strategy and the editorial department, including all content budgets.